Integrating life sciences from Molecular & Cellular mechanism to System Biology through Organisms. The physiology department seeks to fulfill the society need with highly qualified medical staff and scientific researchers capable to provide the medical field needs, alleviate medical problems The Department of Physiology will be an internationally recognized vital & responsive unit for all who seek excellence in learner – centred academic experience in health science for global community.
Physiology of today is the Medicine of tomorrow (Ernest Starling).
Physiology is the study of the mechanism responsible for homeostasis of a living system. As such the discipline concerned with the normal functions of the body and it provides the foundation upon which we expand our knowledge and understanding of how life processes are deranged by diseases and environmental stresses. Understanding scientific procedures from basic sciences like intracellular mechanisms to the functional integration of various systems is the purpose of understanding physiological sciences. As an essential component of medical teaching and research physiology contributes to our understanding of normal functions that is a prerequisite to understanding the pathophysiologic process, disease condition and their treatment. Hence the department of physiology is fully committed to the principles of medical education which are the transmission of knowledge through teaching, generation of knowledge through research and dissemination and preservation of knowledge through publication. The mission of the Department of Physiology is:
- To provide a superior teaching in the physiological sciences to medical UG and PG students.
- To achieve and maintain the highest measure in competitive research and
- Provide service to Medical College and University as a whole.
Beside this department of physiology also produce high-quality education to support other major and minor program in the campus. The department conducts scholarly work, applied research and other projects including student short term project that support the physiology and health science discipline. Department also provides Extracurricular education, professional and social experiment that enhances intellectual development for both students and faculty.
- Outline scientific understanding and applications of different physiological concepts.
- Describe the principles of physiological mechanisms to instill a deeper appreciation for the complexity and beauty of the human body.
- Distinguish between normal and abnormal performance of the body systems.
- Clarify the interrelationships of body organ systems with all regulatory mechanisms that control their activities.
- Expand learning through medical journals, books and the internet.
- Act upon the basic scientific knowledge that the student receive to do scientific research and medical studies.
- Define the functions of different body systems.
- Describe the mechanism of action of different body systems and the sequence of events that accompany these actions.
- Estimate the normal values with regard to different biological conditions.
- Illustrate the degree of deviation in the normal functions of different body systems in some clinical disorders.
- Provide scientific explanations for different physiological changes accompany some clinical disorders
Teaching and Learning Methods
In addition to traditional lectures, tutorials, demonstrations and practical sessions are used to conduct the syllabi of the curriculum. For this, power points and video recordings are used for teaching.