COLLABORATION AND PARTNERSHIP POLICY FOREWORD
Frontiers of knowledge are on the move at a rapid pace. Creation and dissemination of knowledge are of paramount importance for the overall development and well-being of every Nation. In the present era of globalization, with tremendous advances in the field of Science and Technology, collaborations and partnerships are key elements for enhanced quality growth in all aspects. “Connect, Communicate and Collaborate” has become the new “mantra” today. With this in view, BLDE University has embarked on a path of forging collaborations and partnerships with reputed Indian and International Universities/Institutions. BLDE University believes in the following key principles for collaborative and partnership policy making.
- Collaborations must be consistent with the Vision and Mission of the University.
- Collaborations must be in unique areas without much overlapping with other works/projects going on in the University.
- As much as possible, proposals must be well defined and must be in interdisciplinary and emerging areas.
- Collaborations must lead to create valuable networking opportunities for participants.
- It must lead to high quality research and training.
- There should be focused timelines for achieving targets.
- Periodic monitoring with focus on delivering is a must.
- Wherever needed/possible, University may involve NGOs.
- Finally, collaborations should evolve into important work streams.
The policy framework drafted herein affirms BLDE University’s commitment to provide opportunities to its researchers so that they can be partners in contributing to the advances, which are taking place in the medical field.
Prof. B.G. Mulimani, Ph.D. (McGill University)
BLDE University, VIJAYAPURA,
The globalization of science, engineering, and medical research is proceeding rapidly. This globalization leads to rapid progress in research and development (R&D), which further makes worldwide exposure of economic growth, employment, technology transfer and generation of more powerful skill human resources. The benefit which an institution or university gets is to gain greater access to information, ideas and facilities through international collaboration. This can facilitate a more rapid advancement of knowledge and discoveries. Another benefit of international science and technology collaboration is that it builds sustained relationships. While science has always transcended borders, the current level of global interaction among scientists is unprecedented. The communications revolution and today’s open innovation model allow scientists to partner with colleagues worldwide. Even in the heavily networked world of today, face-to-face meetings still play a critical role.
BLDE University, Vijayapura, Karnataka, India, hereafter called “the university” actively develops global linkages with National and International institutions and universities in various areas of medical research. This policy is designed both to focus and facilitate the development of relevant and appropriate collaborations and partnerships. The University endeavors to collaborate and partner with interested institutions, organizations, universities and the community in the advancement of academic excellence, research, training and social welfare. The university appreciates that the collaboration and partnership policy is necessary to:
- promote partnership in academic training for undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students in medical sciences
- develop and adopt innovative technologies
- promote partnership with industrial sectors for newly developed technology
- enhance diverse quality of medical research in some thrust areas; and
- critical training of medical researchers in advanced laboratories.
b. Vision & Mission
To collaborate and partner with interested institutions, organizations and Universities in the advancement of academic excellence, teaching-learning, training and research.
c. Policy Statement & Core Values
BLDE University collaboration welcomes teaching, learning, training and research that can contribute to the fulfillment of its vision, mission and objectives and enhancement of its reputation. Professionalism, team work, national /international understanding and cooperation with integrity are the core values of BLDE University.
d. Policy Objectives
- Training- Professional & Research
- Advancement of Adoption of Appropriate Technologies
- Development of Innovative Technologies
- Collaborative Research in all Fields – The university will enter into collaboration with research institutes and other national or international universities to conduct research in various fields.
- University staff will be allowed to conduct research in collaborating institutions/universities.
- Equipment and facilities in partnering institutions / universities should be shared in conducting research as per both the collaborating institution/ university rules & regulations.
- Regular meetings within the collaborator research institution and the university should be carried to review progress
e. Selection of Collaborators
For approval of any proposal for collaboration or partnership, the following aspects must be noted:
- That the activities of the proposed collaboration/partnership provide a close fit with the vision, mission and strategic plan of BLDE University.
- That the discipline or subject area of the proposed collaboration/partnership falls within BLDE University’s current or developing areas of expertise.
- That the educational mission and aims of the partner university or institution are in harmony with those of BLDE University.
- That the collaborator is of good academic and research standing with financial stability.
- That the collaborator University/Institution has sufficient facilities to ensure that appropriate arrangements for research student/faculty members support are in place, broadly equivalent to those provided at BLDE University.
- BLDE University provides all logistic support including local transport, food, accommodation, medical facilities to the research students & faculty members from collaborator University/Institute either from home or abroad.
f. Implementation Strategies
- Periodically review the collaboration and partnership policy.
- Establish collaboration and partnership priorities for the university.
- To identify collaboration and partnership opportunities for the university.
- Make recommendations to the Academic Council & Board of Management on matters related to joint programmes that result from collaborations and partnerships.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and impact of all university collaborations and partnerships.
- BLDE University is absolutely flexible to extend the duration of any collaboration agreement depending on the progress, performance and mutual benefit of both the collaborators.
g. Termination of Collaboration or Partnership
The university reserves the right to terminate any collaboration or partnership immediately if the partner is in serious breach of the terms of the Memorandum of Agreement.
The Policy may be amended at any time by the University depending on the needs that arise during collaboration for either party.
The university collaboration and partnership policy is a deliberate effort to guide the university in establishing strategic linkages with other institutions and Universities in research, and training. The university collaboration and partnership policy also honors the procedures and rules of engagement with other institutions/organizations in carrying out research and teaching activities. The collaboration and partnership policy is intended to stimulate the establishment of more collaborations and partnerships.