The vascular system is the connections of numerous blood vessels in our bodies. The system is comprised of artery, veins and capillaries which can. The major organs support it are heart, brain, lungs and kidneys. It is not easy to keep our vascular system healthy and functionally normal as multiple factors make an adverse impact on the vessels routinely. The malfunctions of the vascular system lead to life-threatening conditions like stroke, IHD, atherosclerosis and many more. Among many physiological reasons, ageing is the most crucial factor that makes a severe influence on the vascular system. The Ageing changes vascular thickness and its elastic recoiling system and alters cardiac hemodynamic The following factors may be considered as responsible for destabilising vascular physiology
MoU signed by Prof.Luis Gabriel Navar and Prof.M.S.Biradar for 1st official collaboration between the universities. Prof.Kusal Das and Prof.DSA Majid are the Principal collaborators for 3 yrs project. The work will be done under the care of Prof.Das at Laboratory of Vascular Physiology & Medicine, BLDE (Deemed to be University), India and Prof.Dewan S.A.Majid of Hypertension and Renal Centre of Excellence, Tulane University School of Medicine, USA. The Project is entitled “Hypoxia, metal exposure and cell signaling pathways: Evaluation of vascular integrity with renal functions in male albino rats supplemented with ascorbate and calcium channel blocker”
- Hereditary background of heart diseases
- Chronic illness or severe injuries
- Postural defects
- Diabetes, thyroid diseases or gonadal hormone abnormalities
- Over weight
BLDE (DEEMED TO BE UNIVERSITY)-UNESCO/UNITWIN NETWORK CONFERENCE-2020
The Research Club
Laboratory of Vascular Physiology & Medicine
(UNESCO / UNITWIN PROGRAM ON RESEARCH)
Department of Physiology
Dr.Sumangala Patil, MD Dr.Jyoti Khodnapur,MD;PhD
Professor & HOD Associate Professor
The Research Club was instituted by Laboratory of Vascular Physiology and Medicine under the auspices of Department of Physiology aimed to promote research culture and research environment in the BLDE University.
The Research Club has been formed with the following objectives
- To discuss any issues pertaining to vascular
- To discuss and share the recent updates in any discipline under medical and allied health
- To discuss various aspects of clinical interpretations and understanding of basic medical sciences especially on vascular
- To take guidance, suggestions and help from learned members of research club on any research topic undertaken.
- To invite distinguished researchers from any branch of science and social sciences to get appropriate guidance on various aspects of multidisciplinary
- To encourage presentation on any current topic of interest under any discipline of medical sciences by the young researchers who works on physiological sciences especially vascular
Date, Time & Venue of The Research Club meet: The last Saturday of every month from 4.00 pm to 5.30 pm in Laboratory of Vascular Physiology and Medicine, Department of Physiology.
Inception and Inauguration: The 1st meet and formal inauguration of The Research Club was held on 28.01.2017. Prof B. G. Mulimani, Chief Advisor and Former Vice Chancellor, BLDE (Deemed to beUniversity) inaugurated “The Research Club” and Dr M. S. Biradar, Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, BLDE (Deemed to be University) presided over the function. Prof Kusal K. Das, Mentor for The Research Club briefed about the objectives of The Research Club and also shared some interesting facts and information about research clubs in other universities of the world. Members of The Research Club shared their views on the club and also their research experience. Since its inception total of 22 Research club meets have been organized (10 in the year 2017 and 12 in the year 2018). Resource Persons specialized in various fields were invited for The Research Club meets. They shared their expertise and views on various topics with the members of the Research Club.
- Dr D. S. A. Majid Professor of Physiology Director Phenotype Core, THRCE, School of Medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA.
- Dr Ramesh Choudhari, Post Doctoral Fellow, USA
- Dr P. S. Ganesh ,North West University ,Mafikeng Campus ,Mmabatho, South Africa
- Jan-Marino (Nino) Ramirez, Ph.D.(Professor and Director, Center for Integrative Brain Research, Seattle Children’s Research Institute; Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195-9924)
- Dr.Natalia Zubieta- De Urioste,MD (La Paz, Bolivia)
- Gustavo Zubieta-Calleja, M.D , High Altitude Pulmonary and Pathology Institute (IPPA)La Paz, Bolivia& Visiting Professor, BLDE (Deemed to be University)
- Tanveer Majid Surgical Oncologist Asian Cancer Institute Mumbai.
- Dr Babu R. L. Dept of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology Akkamahadevi Women’s University Vijayapura.
- Dr Gangadhar Timmapur Assoc Prof BLDEA’s AVS Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Vijayapur.
- Dr Shweta Pawar Consultant Psychotherapist Vijayapura
- Thuppil Venkatesh, PhD Emeritus Professor, Department of Biochemistry, St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India
Staff members from various Departments of BLDE (Deemed to University) with expertise in different fields were also invited for the meet.
- Dr Dayanand Gannur, Dept of Forensic Medicine
- Dr S. S. Patil, Dept of Medicine
- Dr R. M. Potekar, Dept of Pathology
- Dr Nilima Dongre, Dept of Biochemistry
- Dr Laxmi Kakhandaki, Dept of Microbiology
- Dr Ravi S. Bulagouda, Dept of Anatomy
- Dr Nandish Kadakol, Dept of Anatomy
- Dr Rekha Udgiri, Dept of Community Medicine
- Dr B. S. Patil, Dept of Anatomy
- Dr Surekha Hippargi, Dept of Pathology.
The Permanent Invitees
5. Vijayakumar K, Medical Superintendent, Shri B.M.Patil Medical College Hospital.
Objectives: The Research Club has been formed with the following objectives
1. To discuss any issues pertaining to vascular sciences.
2. To discuss and share the recent updates in any discipline under medical and allied health sciences.
3. To discuss various aspects of clinical interpretations and understanding of basic medical sciences especially on vascular sciences.
4. To take guidance, suggestions and help from learned members of research club on any research topic undertaken.
5. To invite distinguished researchers from any branch of science and social sciences to get appropriate guidance on various aspects of multidisciplinary research.
6. To encourage presentation on any current topic of interest under any discipline of medical sciences by the young researchers who works on physiological sciences especially vascular sciences.
The activities of The Research Club of LVPM will exclusively relate to research only. No other discussion apart from the scientific discussion will be encouraged in this club. Date, Time & Venue: The last Saturday of every month from 4.00 pm to 5.30 pm will be fixed for the research club meeting in Laboratory of Vascular Physiology and Medicine, Department of Physiology or it will be informed to the members by the co-coordinator in case of any change.
Details of the meet in the table below
Day and Month
Agenda for The Research Club
28th Jan 2017
Formal inauguration by Prof B. G. Mulimani, Chief Advisor and Former Vice Chancellor, BLDE University and Dr M. S. Biradar,
Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, BLDE University
25th Feb 2017
MoU between Tulane University, New Orleans, US and BLDE University. Prof Kusal K. Das briefed about his experience during
visit to Hypertension and Renal Centre of Excellence, Tulane University, New Orleans, US
25th March 2017
Science and Philosophy of Music
22nd April 2017
Reiki, Summer diet
27th May 2017
24th June 2017
29th July 2017
Urinary tract infection
26th Aug 2017
Recent advances in diabetes
Surrogacy: A Legal Prespective
28th Oct 2017
Motor neuron disease
Progeria-Old before time
16th Dec 2017
Prospects and Future of Physiology
23rd Jan 2018
Science and Religion
24th Feb 2018
Carcinoma of Breast
Smart Phone Hazards
31st Mar 2018
The theory of everything in memory of Late Prof Stephen
28th Apr 2018
Oxidative stress and
26th May 2018
Significance of citations
Birds in and around Bijapur
30th Jun 2018
Biomedical waste management
03 Aug 2018
Role of human genetics in
Physical activity and health
25th Aug 2018
Importance of medical education on growth of medical
Health impact of extreme climatic conditions
19. & 20
27th Oct 2018
24th Nov 2018
Carcinoma of cervix
Artificial Intelligence in Health
29th Dec 2018
1 Jan 31 Dec 2019
Research Club Activities
E-cigarettes-Pros and Cons
The members of The Research Club from various departments participated in the meet and shared important information on the topics. The discussions were healthy and all the members contributed to the discussion. The Research Club meeting was also attended by
- Dr M. S. Biradar, Hon’ble Vice Chancellor
- Dr J. G. Ambekar, Registrar BLDE (Deemed to be University)
- Dr S.Guggarigoudar, Principal
- Dr Tejaswini Vallabh, Vice-Principal, Shri B. M. Patil Medical College, Hospital And Research Centre, Vijayapura.
LSRB, DRDO Ministry of Defence, Government of India (2014- 2017).Title: “Influence of antioxidant vitamin (L-ascorbic acid) on hypoxia-induced alteration of VEGF gene expression in male diabetic rats with or without exposure to heavy metal nickel”. Fund Rs. 27,40,600/-(Vide Sanction letter: No O/o CC R&D(TM)/81/48222/LSRB-XXIX-Meeting/2014 06th August 2014)
VGST-K FIST (Level 2), (DST, Government of Karnataka (2016-2019). “Effect of L-ascorbic acid and calcium channel blocker on hypoxia exposed possible alteration of cell signaling pathways in respiratory system of male rats with or without heavy metal lead exposure” (VGST-KFIST/1230/2015 Dated 22/6/2016.(Rs.40,00,000/-)
BLDE (Deemed to be University) Research Grants
Department of Physiology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, USA with Prof.L. Gabriel Navar & Prof. D.S.A. Majid (2016 -2019) on “Hypoxia, metal exposure and cell signaling pathways: Evaluation of cardiovascular remodeling and renal hemodynamics in male albino rats treated with ascorbate and calcium channel blocker”. An MoU between two university had already done.
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine & Diabetic Research, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK [2014- 2016] with Dr. Sikha Saha on “Hypoxia, antioxidants and Nickel: Molecular interactions and cell signaling pathways.
High Altitude Pulmonary and Pathology Institute & Zubieta University, La Paz, Bolivia for 3 years (2017-2020) with Prof.Gustavo Zubieta – Calleja on “Hypoxia and High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE)”
Indian Institute of Public Health, Hyderabad with Prof. S. Pyne on Women and Children issues & Environmental Health from 19/5/2016 for 5 years on Public Health Foundation of India support.
Dept.of Physiology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu Dr.Sathya Subramani, Professor & Head, Dept.of Physiology.
Prof.L.Lee Hamm, Sr.Vice President & Dean of Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans,USA and Prof.M.S.Biradar, Vice Chancellor of BLDE (Deemed to be University), Vijayapura,India exchanges greetings after signing MoU between the universities on February 9, 2017 at New Orleans, USA. Prof.Luis Gabriel Navar Professor & Chair; Department of Physiology & Director Hypertension & Renal Centre of Excellence, Tulane University, USA, Prof. Dewan S.A. Majid, Professor of Physiology, Tulane University School of Medicine, Prof. Kusal K. Das, Professor of Physiology, BLDE (Deemed to be University), India and Dr. Mrs. Swastika Das, Professor & Head, Department of Chemistry, BLDE Association’s College of Engineering & Technology, Vijayapura are also seen in the photo
Prof.M.S.Biradar, Vice Chancellor of BLDE (Deemed to be University), Vijayapura, has signed an Agreement with UNESCO/UNITWIN program on behalf of BLDE (Deemed to be University) in Biophysics, Biotechnology & Environmental Health under UNESCO Chair (Life Sciences) in Yerevan, Republic of Armenia on August 4, 2018. Prof.Kusal Das was also invited by UNESCO/UNITWIN program. This is as part of UNESCO International Network for PhD Education and Research.
2 Molecular Biology
3 Clinical & Translational
MP45 BIOPAC STUDENT LAB:
- Rat & Human ECG Monitoring
- HRV Analysis
- Animal (Rat/mice) invasive Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Animal (Rat/mice) non- invasive Blood Pressure Monitoring
- EEG and other neurological works
- EMG etc. on both rats & human
SMALL ANIMAL RADIO TELEMETRY SYSTEM:
- Pressure telemetry foundation system
- Biopotential telemetry system with lab chart pro analysis software
UV VISIBLE SPECTROPHOTOMETER (SCHIMADZU UV 1800):
- Qualitative & Quantitative analysis of Biologically important compounds
- Enzyme kinetics
- To Study the absorption Spectra of compounds
- Quantitative analysis of pharmaceutical substances
- It is an automated cardiovascular analyzer. It analyze arterial stiffness, estimates simultaneous four limb blood pressure, Central aortic blood pressure and cardiac indices from pressure analysis.
Research Molecular Biology
ELISA MICRO-PLATE READER:
- Qualitative & Quantitative analysis of the Biologically important compounds (Hormones, Growth factors, Specific Bacterial or Viral Antigens) based on their Immune property.(eg: VEGF, HIF 1 alpha, etc)
ELISA MICRO-PLATE WASHER
- Its used in the process of washing the microplates to remove the excess/unbound antigens/ antibodoies with specific Buffer where we can set the Number of washing cycles
WESTERN BLOTTING APPARATUS
- To evaluate gene expressions in blood & tissues
PCR ( THERMOCYCLER) MACHINE
- To evaluate DNA sequencing and finding the specific gene
COLD CENTRIFUGE (-20 DEGREE CELSIUS WITH 20K RPM)
DEEP FREEZER (-20 DEGREE CELSIUS)
- PC based Electrophysiology system ECG, EEG, EMG, Respiratory rate, Pulse rate
DICROWIN (PC BASED PPG ANALYZER)
- PC based automatic pulse plethysmography analyzer system, Stiffness index, Reflection index and cardiovascular indices such as ejection slope, Left ventricular ejection time, upstroke time, pre-ejection period.
CANWIN (CARDIAC AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHY ANALYZER)
- PC based automatic cardiac neuropathy analyzer and parasympathetic battery of tets.
Dr.P.S.Ganesh, (Postdoctoral fellow)North West University, Mmabatho, South Africa, (January 23,2018).
Dr.Shrikanth Gadad,PhD; Assistant Professor, Texas Tech University of Health Sciences, El Paso, TX ( March 21 -22,2018).
Dr.P.N.Murthy, D.Sc,- Dean, Royal College of Pharmacy asnd Health Sciences, Berhampur, Odisha-760001( April 12, 2018).
Prof.T.R.Raju,FASc, ICMR Dr.A.S.Paintal Distinguished Scientist, NIMHANS, Bengalury on June 5, 2018.
Dr.Shashi Bala Singh,D.Sc;FNASc, Director General (Life Sciences), DRDO, New Delhi on June 6, 2018.
Mr.Jeffry Jcobs -MERK, Switzerland, (January 24, 2017).
Ms.Ceona -MERK, Switzerland, (January 24, 2017).
Dr.M.B.Patil,D.Sc, President, BLDE (Deemed to be University),Vijayapur(April 25 & 29,2017).
Dr.Debprasad Chattopadhyay, Director, ICMR National Institute of Traditional, Medicine, Belagavi (July 25,2017).
Prof.M.A.Rabinal-Karnatak University, Dharwad (July 10,2017).
Dr.Ramesh Chaudary, Texus Tech, University,USA (June-July, 2017).
Prof. Kuldeep Singh Dhindsa, UGC Nominee to BLDE (Deemed to be University) (Aug 5,2017),University, Belagavi (Aug 5, 2017)
Dr.R.S.Mudhol, Medical Director, KLE University,Belagavi (Aug 5,2017).
Dr.S.C.Parija, Director, JIPMER, Puducheery (Sep 16,2017).
Prof.D.S.A. Majid, Tulane University,USA (December 4 -17, 2017).
Prof.Gustavo Zubieta- Calleja, IPPA, Bolivia (December 8-12, 2017).
Prof.Thuppil Venkatesh, INSLAR (December 9-12, 2017).
Dr.Veerendra Chadachan, National University of Singapore (December 11, 2017).
Thuppil Venkatesh- St.Johns Medical College,Bangalore
Sandhya Avadhani- Dean, Faculty of Medicine, RGUHS, Bangalore
Mahdi Abbas- King George Medical College, Lucknow,
Giridhar Gyani- Director General, Association of Health Care Providers, New Delhi
Manoj K.Chakraborti- ICMR Emeritus Scientist, NICED, Kolkata
Sikha Saha- University of Leeds, UK
Simal Saha- Leeds, UK
Gustavo Zubieta Calleja – IIPA, La Paz, Bolivia
Lucrecia Zubieta- Diplomate, Bolivia
Dhruv Kumar- Post-Doc-Kansas State University, USA
G.K.Pal- Registrar (Academics), JIPMER
M.Fahim- V.P.Chest Institute, Delhi
Saumyadipta Pyne- IIPH, Hyderabad
Kinsuk K.Maitra- Georgia State University, USA
Bindu Kutty- NIMHANS, Bangalore
B.S.Shankarnarayan Rao-NIMHANS, Bangalore
Prakash.Doddapattar- University of Iowa, USA
D.Venkatesh- M.S.Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
Prof.Kusal Das, Member of International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS) acted as International Advisory Member for ICMR Physiology Education Workshop at AIIMS, Jodhpur; NEIGRIMS, Shillong & GMC, Kozhikode ( November 3 – 18, 2018).
i. Annual Conference of Association of Physiologists of India ( Sep 14-17 2016) at BLDE (Deemed to be University), Vijayapura , Karnataka
ii. Research Grants Workshop at BLDE (Deemed to be University), Vijayapura Date; 30-31 May 2016
iii. International CME on Physiology Education Date 14 & 15 December 2015 at BLDE (Deemed to be University), Vijayapura, Karnataka
- 2019 – “G.P.Chatterjee Memorial Award 2019” by ISCA, DST, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India on January 3, 2019
- 2018 – “Silver Jubilee Oration 2018” by KIMS Deemed to be University, Karad, Maharashtra on 6th. March 2018
- 2018 – Fellow of Royal Society of Biology (United Kingdom) by The Royal Society of Biology, London.
- 2017 – “Dr.Jajneswar Chakraborty Memorial Oration 2017” by Bengal Obstetrics & Gynecological Society,Kolkata ( July 8, 2017
- 2017 – Visiting Professor – Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, USA
- 2016 – Science, Honor and Truth Medal by IIPH-Zubieta University, La Paz, Bolivia
- 2016 – Shri S.N.Chaudary Memorial Research Prize by Association of Physiologists of India, JIPMER
- 2015 – Dr.Raja Ramanna State Scientist Award 2013 by Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of Karnataka on 30th Dec 2015
- 2015 – MCRC-Research Lecture by Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre, the University of Leeds on 31st.July 2015.
- 2016 – Shri Dev Raj Bajaj Research Prize by Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India
- 2014 – Best Researcher Award -2014 by BLDE University at 2nd University convocation (2014).
- 2012 – Dr.C.R.Krishnamurthy Memorial Oration Award 2011 by The Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists, India
- 2012 – COPE International Scholarship 2012 by Committee on Publication Ethics, London
- 2011 – Prof.S.R.Maitra Memorial Oration Award-2010 by The Physiological Society of India
- 2003 – Prof.Shakuntala Dasgupta Memorial Oration Award by The Physiological Society of India
- “Prof.K.Raghottam Rao Oration 2016” by The Physiological Society of India, ISCA, January 2017
- Visiting Professor”, Tulane University School of Medicine, USA (2017)
- SARS Gold Medal by SARS, Shri B.M.Patil Medical College, Vijayapur for best research paper presentation 2018
- Research Day Medal by BLDE (Deemed to be University) in Faculty category on June 6, 2018
- Research Day Medal by BLDE (Deemed to be University) in PhD Scholar category on June 6, 2018
- Research Day Medal (Poster) by BLDE (Deemed to be University) in PhD Scholar category on June 6, 2018
- 1st Prize in Poster Presentation at ACBICON 2018 South Zone Conference at KMC, Manipal (December 8, 2018)
- Research Day Consolation Prize by BLDE (Deemed to be University) in PhD Scholar category on June 6, 2018
- Young Scientist Award 2018 by by BLDE (Deemed to be University) during convocation, October 25, 2018
- SARS Gold Medal by SARS, Shri B.M.Patil Medical College, Vijayapur for best research paper presentation 2017
- 2019 Received “BEST PAPER AWARD” and First prize for paper presentation in DIACON 2019
- 2017 Received “GOLD MEDAL AWARD”- at SARS presentation
- 2016 Received “BEST PAPER AWARD” – at “3rd Annual conference of association of Physiologists of India, ASSOPICON 2016, during 14th to 17th September, 2016 held at Department of Physiology, BLDE University’s, Shri. B.M.Patil Medical college and Research centre, Vijayapur.
- 2014-2018 University Research fund to pursue Phd in Physiology.
- Young Scientist Award 2017 by by BLDE (Deemed to be University) during convocation, September 2017